Some folks may already know the what, when where and why, but...
I laid low here, on the forums, my Youtube channel, and honestly in the shop for 4, almost 5 years as I had some life struggles with the family. and then with me dealing with it.
Simply put starting in 2016, actually late 2015 but the impacts didn't start coming until 2016, close family members started ending up hospitalized, which wound up in 2018 my wife being long term hospitalized with stress related cardiac issues, and the two of us enduring the loss of 20 friends and family, both our Dads, one of her brothers, aunts, a niece etc…
It was honestly all I could do to keep going on my day job, and ocasionally put out a video here or there.
But last fall I guess I kind of clicked back into place… I can't explain it other than to say it was a God thing, and he just told me it's time to move on.
In the interim the shop suffered neglect, and honestly a bunch of long term projects that just got put on hold.
Well again, something clicked back in place and it was time to get back with it.
So I now present to you a pictoral of the various projects and upgrades I have done to the shop and its equipment since about October of 2021.
I know I have shown the Harbor Freight dust collector fitted with the Wynn filter somehwere here, it's the old green one and looks like the promo pics on the Wynn website, and the neutral vane is going to be VERY hard to photograph, but here is the Wen impeller during the install process. The install went super easy and was well worth the few bucks and little bit of time it took. What a HUGE difference in dust collector performance. No it is not in ClearVue territory but it picks up where the prior setup left a lot behind… I did get rid of teh Thien 55gallon side inlet barrel separator as it was a big CFM hit, adn the Neutral Vane so far is working well. I was leery of doing that, but after re-reading the Bill Pentz research, and some prodding from LCHIEN at Sawdustzone.org, I went for it.
Next I installed the compressed air piping system that I got as a Christmas present. The manifold setup and filter / regulator / oil and water separators I have had for a while. As a reminder they allow me to plumb in 2 separate smaller compressors, both Central Pnuematic, an 8 gallon and a 29 gallon oil lubriceated compressor which gives me something like 14 CFM @ 40PSI. The regulator diaphragm sprung a leak and sounded like a whoopie cushion, I found a replacement that works so I am keeping the Central Pnuematic regualtor / filter in place as it works well. I did try a replacement but that did NOT work out.
I also converted all of the formerly T12 flourescent fixtures to LED ballast bypass tubes.
Also a larger project was the conversion from 4” dual runs to a single 5” main and 4” drops, this is resulting in a much better running system. This meant also that most of the runs are done with galvanized ducting instead of PVC, although the 5x5x5 wye fittings and the reducers are ABS plastic as the metal ones were very hard to find and incredibly expensive.
- I have some wide 3 drawer Sterilite cabinets that fit my cased drills. Make a rolling stand that will straddle my mobile base for the drill press and attach the plastic cabinet to it. Yes it is a cheat, but I'll take it to get it done quick.
- Build a replacement base for the lathe that integrates a MUCH stronger structure, ballast, and will use at least 4 more of the orphaned drawers my Sister In Law left in my shop...
- Clean, clean, clean, clean. I did too many projects with the dust collection either turned off, or disassembled and the shop needs a thorough cleaning, sorting and puging of old junk.
- Take down my clamshell cabinets and shop library, rework the french cleats so that they have a much stronger purchase into the studs and less of a tendency to pull out.
- Rework the dust hood for the miter saw, change its drop from 4 to 5".