25 October, 2014

Building my own Camera Jib / Crane

In my research on how to improve my videos, one of the items that keeps cropping up is a camera jib / crane which will allow for smooth pan / raise / lower of perspective, etc...

There are tons of DIY howtos on Youtube for building various designs of jibs, and after a good deal of research, I had several requirements which were.

#1. Minimum top camera elevation of 8' while mounted on the tripod.

#2. Breaks down to an easily transportable size, no harder to transport than the tripod itself.

#3. Easy to build.

#4. Reasonable cost.

#5. Adjustable length.

#6. Fixed level, and rotating level capability.

After reviewing a LARGE number of camera jib builds, I came across one that while not perfect, for the most part suits my needs.

The video from the gentleman that built the inspiration jib is here...

There are several build quality issues, and minor design flaws, or at least choices I disagree with that I will be doing differently...

Yes, I am building one...

My first steps were today. So far I have...

#1. Done the shopping for items I need to build this. The extension poles I got came from Home Depot, they were on clearance so I got lucky.

#2. The casters I got were close, but not dead on, and I am NOT using 1x4 stock, but rather scrap 3/4" plywood, and 2x6 that I will be cutting rabbets into. I have removed the wheels from the small casters courtesy of my Dremel and a cutoff wheel. The large caster axle is simply a nut and bolt arrangement so I simply unbolted the wheel...

#3. I have the plug pieces for the PVC / small casters and the platform cut and glued up in clamps right now. Unlike the gent who made the inspiration piece, I have sanded my parts, and gotten them smooth prior to getting them in glue, and I am NOT adding screws to it. However I WILL be using a set screw to help retain the plugs a bit better. I used a 1.5" hole saw to cut the plug. Yes I have a hole in the middle, I just don't care that much....

I was unable to source up the yolk parts however I am figuring on fabricating a suitable yolk for each side. Most likely will be made from either aluminum, or steel. Depends on what I can source up from my scrap buckets... I think I have some aluminum. Either way, I will be connecting to the small end of the poles using rivets, which means no cutting of the poles themselves.

For the weight / counterbalance issue, I am thinking about adapting the aluminum extrustion to PVC, and then some small athletic lifting weights held in with some sort of retained cap.... Not sure how to explain this, Hopefully in the next few posts I can get it clear...

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I arrived on your blog from woodworkingtalk.com and am new to woodworking. I liked your clear thinking and easy to explaining things. I normally don;t commne ton blogs but I absolutely love blogs where the owners share their real life experiences and about their experimentrs they are carrying out in any field. I particularly liked your design of "flipping licence plate" installation video here


    Just wanted to let you know that keep up the good work and thanks a lot for sharing this great information.